PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Love flying, not keen on dying :))
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2013, 16:46
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
What's LOC and RLOC? I'm fascinated to know what I've been unknowingly subject to on final in the last 35 years flying small aeroplanes!
Worth noting I am referring to LSA and microlights specifically

LOC = Loss of Control. A well documented risk with LSA from base to finals and on finals.

RLOC = Runway Loss of Control. Also well documented risk with LSA on landing and take-off. Particularly prone to cross wind gusts, far more so than heavier GA alternatives.

For the purpose of clarity, LSA are defined as thise with MTOW not exceeding around 500 kg's (differs somewhat per country, in Germany it's 472 kg, see Light-sport aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). If some-one tells you these are as safe as regular aircraft, they're lying or they're misinformed.

A good pilot is one that keeps on learning, eh ?
Well, Indeed keep learning. But anyone who says (as that earlier post did) that light aircraft are subject to that really is clueless about flying and should be ignored. Just glad there's nothing out there (maybe evil spirits, ghosts or bogeymen and stuff) that threaten to smite light aircraft on final or on the runway that I've somehow missed over the decades of flying 'em! Actually, big ones are more affected by wind shear than small aeroplanes because of their greater mass and inertia!

Just because someone has an ATPL and n million hours watching an autopilot (or a handful of real hours and then the same hour N million times!) doesn't mean they are a skygod. Doesn't mean they aren't, either, of course!