PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Love flying, not keen on dying :))
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2013, 16:23
eyesup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you certainly shouldn't listen to them on that topic since they clearly don't know what they are talking about! Utter tosh... Don't think that because they have many hours sitting in a commercial aircraft being flown by the autopilot that they know anything about flying little aeroplanes. Are you sure they haven't been unintentionally misleading you by talking up their sky-god status?
I think all pilots are a little prone to sky-god syndrome But yes, I would trust their opinions because they've both got impeccable flying records, both graduated from PPL's to CPL's, and do for a living what we consider a hobby / past-time (or obsession, apparently). They would have nothing to gain by misleading me. In fact, as family, it would be the opposite. By the way, do a little research yourself and look into the cross-wind landing tolerances for LSA and Microlights versus regular GA aircraft. You'll be surprised, it's not utter tosh at all

Agonising about dubious safety statistics won't convince you one way or the other.
I'm not agonising at all, this is all very interesting for me. It's called research.

If I sound a bit irritated, its because I am.
I find that interesting. Why are you irritated ? Because someone (credible) has a differing opinion ?

What's LOC and RLOC? I'm fascinated to know what I've been unknowingly subject to on final in the last 35 years flying small aeroplanes!
Worth noting I am referring to LSA and microlights specifically

LOC = Loss of Control. A well documented risk with LSA from base to finals and on finals.

RLOC = Runway Loss of Control. Also well documented risk with LSA on landing and take-off. Particularly prone to cross wind gusts, far more so than heavier GA alternatives.

For the purpose of clarity, LSA are defined as thise with MTOW not exceeding around 500 kg's (differs somewhat per country, in Germany it's 472 kg, see Light-sport aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). If some-one tells you these are as safe as regular aircraft, they're lying or they're misinformed.

A good pilot is one that keeps on learning, eh ?