PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Love flying, not keen on dying :))
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2013, 15:22
CaptainChairborne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allow me to clarify a little more. I have family members who are commercial pilots. Their judgement on LSA and microlights in particular are fairly credible, as they have more hours than many of us combined.
Do the commercial pilots have much time in microlights? There is a huge difference between clicking on the AP and AT in big iron and hand flying a microlight, experience on one doesn't necessarily translate to knowledge about the other.

Both these family members have said that LSA and microlights get blown around way too much, and are particularly prone to LOC on finals, and RLOC. But hey, why would I listen to them, I love flying, right ?
There's no problem in getting blown around. This summer in England was the most convective I've experienced. I was getting kicked about at five thousand feet, and the Manchester LLR needed a lot of active flying, at no time did I feel unsafe. Part of the fun is feeling the wing under your wings, that doesn't mean it isn't safe

Loss of control on approach used to be a much bigger problem. There has been a lot of emphasis, in training, on stalls/spins on approach, and it is tested as part of the PPL. But it still happens, the two that spring to mind this year (not an exhaustive list ) are the PA-28 crash at Caernarfon and the PA-38 at Cranfield. Oh and there was the Tecnam at Newtownards, I think that was on approach. These weren't microlights (LSA??), not sure how many of those came to grief this year. Interestingly, there was only one fatality in those crashes, even though seven people were involved. RLOC is much, much more common in all types of aircraft - how many nosewheels were wrecked in this month's AAIB report? But you are rarely seriously injured (apart from wallet damage) in this type of accident