PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Love flying, not keen on dying :))
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2013, 11:42
vjmehra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eyesup I know you have had a bad experience with microlights (and GA) in the past, but just a thought...have you considered learning in the Ikarus C42?

I ask as I am in a similar situation to you (sort of), in that I had a few GA lessons, before my wife had a freak out and now is paranoid I will crash and burn if I set foot in a small plane.

Realistically unless she's happy I think its not a great idea to fly for me as it will potentially be in the back of my mind at all times (even though I was fine in my lessons), which is very frustrating as its something I've always wanted to do.

That said, something like the C42 offers a bit of a lifeline, it has a BRS (not all do, but many have them fitted which offers reassurance for the wife) and a very low stall speed. It also offers decent performance and comfort when compared to most microlights.

Better still, you can learn with a microlight instructor, get your licence then if you really do like the aircraft buy one of your own and with some small adjustments and additional training fly the GA version (you can't learn in the GA version unless you own it due to various regulations, hence unless you are 100% sure its the right plane for you, better to do it this way)!