PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2013, 09:58
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's just my opinion.

I don't expect others "to concede the point," not on the basis of one post of my own!

I formed an opinion about whether someone who has had an accident might be useful for teaching others how not to have an accident, and I formed that opinion from direct experience, not from a guess. It was a disappointment to discover how stuck in one frame of mind that accident pilot was, how he persisted in dysfunctional, downright dangerous, self-delusional behavior. I thought to myself, "I can teach anyone to fly better than that!" but I failed. Failed doubly, in fact, since he was, for political reasons, allowed to carry on for quite a while longer until he was finally got rid of; my own "down-check" of him was disregarded at the time it was given, since it was embarrassing.

That said, I am sure that my own "incidents" (dents and scratches on various aircraft) have taught me things that have made me a better, because much more humble, teacher of others.

It's just that the fact of having made a real mess of things, as this Asiana crew certainly have done, is not something that automatically denotes value as a teacher. Maybe, maybe not, when my best guess is "probably not." Others may well have a different opinion, particularly since I have had no contact with Koreans in aviation. Koreans, yes, but not in aviation.