PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2013, 09:28
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, I see you are out to make mischief of my unfortunate parking incident. I'm afraid that I have no further comment to make other than, "I subbose you dink dat's vunny!".
Your description of the road journey via East Germany to West Berlin reminds me of the journey I took in the opposite direction. I had purchased a brand new UK spec VW Polo in W Berlin when it was profitable to do so to import into the UK (list price saving mainly). I had been briefed on every aspect of the deal, down to equipping myself with a warning triangle as required by the West Germans. What I had not been briefed on was the actual drive to West Germany. Like you I imagined it was a single Autobahn without junctions and most probably security fenced off from the DDR. Nothing of the sort! One was faced with the choice of many destinations, from Warsaw to Prague. Only by careful attention to the road signs could one remain on track for the West German frontier checkpoint destination. Even then it transpired later that one had a window of ATA there. Too late and you were labelled a spy, too soon and you were done for speeding.
Mercifully I got through unchallenged and now had to concentrate on the most vital aspect of all, getting my papers stamped at the opposite frontier when leaving West Germany at Venlo. My new car was thus officially exported. Next tick in the box, load it up with wine at the Channel before making my booked passage on the Hovercraft to Dover and there to pay HMC&R their Dane geld. Longest journey I've ever made by road, or ever likely to.
I've a horrible feeling I've told this tale before as well, if so apologies especially to you Educated Armourer, as it would be fresher in your mind having just read your way through the entire thread. Interesting that you savoured both RAF welcoming committees and can testify to their differences. The bitter Flt Cdrs observation certainly rings bells! Welcome Sir, and pray tell us your tale.

Oh, just for you Danny,

Last edited by Chugalug2; 21st Dec 2013 at 09:44.