PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Makes an Outstanding Captain
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2013, 05:12
Scoreboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that maybe find it cringe worthy some captain berates some eng or ground staff for their duties.....a little empthay please.

Until "YOU" are signing the dotted line and wear it when it all goes wrong and the blame gets shuttled around you can sit in the right seat and find fault. You probably need only have a few bad office visits as a Captain to find it easier to be an uptight bastard than relaxed about the whole exercise.

But that's not saying some captains can do the berating with more grace and less ugliness. I have been on the fair share end of some when I was an F/O...and took some offence at it. Now sitting on the other side I somedays wish I could remove my past grimaces at Captains who I felt were a bit overprotective.

As for those that sigh when a Captain has his feet on the rudders as they arrive at the bay...ever asked maybe why? I rest them there, I don't push or screw with the F/o's work. My reason for it is I did experience an uncommanded nosewheel steering loss. Its been rectified by engineering now, but am now always cautious just I would hate both of us to say sorry later, all for having the added protection of another who could respond. Its not a mark against the what I feel the F/O capabilities are.

Some say they want a Captain who is relaxed and lets First officers make decisions, not be a remote autopilot etc. Its a fine line that somedays I feel I may screwup, due whatever everyday life stress/baggage I may bring to work. That's just being human.....we all make mistakes its what we do when we make mistakes is what really defines us.

But a good captain in my opinion

1. Respectful of all his crew no matter what their experience level is.
2. Calm in dealings with emergencies or dramas with others. It helps others around you think instead of reacting.... and having your crew think is a big help.
3. Look after my crew first and foremost
4. Being able to laugh at my stupid mistakes and the occasional bad landing. aka a little humility goes a long way.