PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 21st Dec 2013, 01:50
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
SASless asked:

"I would really like to know if only lowering the Collective while in a level Cruise at 116 Knots in a 350 during an entry into Autorotation and not moving the Cyclic will result in a 40 degree or more Dive.....it cannot be that complicated to find out!

Likewise.....how does one accomplish a 180 degree turn at the same time and ...and lose Rotor RPM....as it is going to be a steep turn from 300 feet in a screaming ass dive where one would assume there would be some G Loading on the Head that would tend to build RPM.....something you all insist G Loading shall do?

Any 350 Drivers willing to try......Devil 49....you fly those EC things.....what you think?"

I really don't know what would happen in that scenario. My experience is that the aircraft will yaw quickly right (vertical fin camber) and the nose will drop. A retreating blade stall as the NR decays would tighten up the action, I would think.

AMC does not do power chops at cruise, at least not in the AS350B2, due to the lack of a flight idle stop. The accident pilot may never have had anything but the 90 knot traffic pattern altitude training autorotative descents to a power recovery, a very benign, non-representative exercise.
We very rarely fly without medical crew so I can't take it out and throw it around the sky, either.

I would have to consider that this pilot was relatively low-time in the airframe. the hard right yaw and pitch down would be outside his experience base, it might delay recognition of an engine flaming out and the appropriate response. I would have though that a gun pilot would know about fast and low, and would have immediately pulled cyclic back, gaining the few extra seconds to avoid all the Kansas he was seeing in the windscreen the last five seconds of the flight...

Last edited by Devil 49; 21st Dec 2013 at 01:55. Reason: clarification