PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2013, 23:48
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Possible benefit of "Zoom Climb", using any available airspeed

Owain Glyndwr's translation of a BEA conclusion:
"Other calculations show that if the elevator had been brought back faster or earlier during the accident flight, an AoA greater than 15° would have been obtained before the impact on the trees. They also show that without an earlier thrust increase such a manoeuvre, which would have led to an increase in the instantaneous drag of the aircraft would not have permitted (the aircraft) to avoid impact with the trees."

I notice that OG has so far not specifically disputed rudderrudderrat's calculation that a trade of kinetic energy by zoom climb from an airspeed of 112 kt to 107 kt (assuming a steady wind) would provide an altitude gain of 52 ft. (I assume that the 112 kt was based on the IAS recorded at DFDR time-frame of 333.0 secs, which is only 1 or 2 seconds before the defined point of impact.)

awblain has also taken up the cudgels (my emphasis):
"You're right. They could have exchanged another 5kt (2.5m/s) of airspeed, from 110 to 105 (~55m/s). for height h (in m) ~ v.Delta-v/g ~ 55(2.5)/10 ~ 14m.
"The key question is… did they have that 5kt of airspeed to exchange (FBW doesn't change the physics), while avoiding a stall. "

The short answer is in the negative. The GW was about 59 tonnes, with "Flaps" (config) 3 and L/G down. For an A320-100 (no winglets), the VS1G is a CAS of 114 kt. Given that VS1G is said to be defined on the A320 as the steady airspeed at the alpha-max in this confiuration of 17.5 deg (not the CL-MAX), provided the Nz (normal acceleration) is 1G, that begs the question of why the AoA coincident with 112 kt on the Habsheim fly-past was only +14.

My suggestion is that the a/c was in a slight bunt-manoeuvre. The Nz at that stage is around 0.93G, and the pitch has been reducing. Although the IAS had fallen from 116 in the previous second, the ground-speed remained the same (112 kt). That suggests a mini-tailwind shear in that second. The following second shows an IAS of 114 at an AoA of +15 with 1.00G. However, it appears that either the a/c was overperforming slightly, or the ZFW (zero fuel weight) may have been lower than calculated on the loadsheet.

I think it might be more realistic, therefore, to postulate a zoom climb initiated at time frame 329.0 sec; 5 or 6 secs before impact. That is the point at which TOGA thrust had been commanded, at IAS 122. Therefore, the PF was already anxious to expedite his go-around from that point. If rudderrudderrat's energy calculation is good, that should provide at least as much height-gain as he calciulated for his.

As for the zoom climb per-se, I would be very interested to hear the views of Owain Glyndwr, John Farley, and others as to whether it is in any way analogous to the ski-jump concept used operationally, 6 years earlier, to increase the take-off performance of the Hawker/BAC Harrier to permit - in effect - overweight take-offs in STO mode.

I'm wondering if the gain in altitude achieved at the expense of IAS, followed by a semi-ballistic trajectory - maintaining alpha-max at an Nz below 1G - might have provided two advantages, compared with maintaining height/altitude into the treetops.
(1) The initial impact would be avoided (and the engines were rapidly spooling up).
(2) The semi-ballistic segment would delay the stall, providing even more time for the engines to add energy to the total-energy equation. In the case of the Harrier, the engine is already at its TOGA thrust (and, admittedly, with thrust-vectoring). The A320 at Habsheim was light, of course, with very great surplus performance at TOGA, and less than two seconds short of achieving TOGA thrust at the time of impact.

Last edited by Chris Scott; 21st Dec 2013 at 00:31.