PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 20th Dec 2013, 22:18
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Lonewolf:
The statement of yours that I identified is A STRAWMAN (look it up, you obviously don't understand the term) in that you dishonestly characterize a number of other poster's position with your own made up line of crap.
No I don't, Lone, and I'll thank you to stop putting words in my mouth. There are posters here who advocate lowering the collective FIRST after an engine failure. I'm not making this up and I'm not dishonestly characterizing their positions. Because I'm sure they genuinely believe it based on conventional wisdom.

Yet the NTSB clearly, unequivocally, in no uncertain terms tells us the importance of the order of tasks that need to be accomplished after an engine failure

Simutaneously:
1) Aft cyclic input;
2) Lower collective.

How much clearer do you guys need it to be? Must I spell it out for you? Hmm, it's already spelled out so that probably wouldn't even help. Do I need to read it to you more slowly perhaps?

Guys like TC say over and over that the FIRST response to an engine failure is to lower the collective. What guys like Pete Gillies and I are saying is that this is often a very, very WRONG thing to do, especially if you're in cruise at 500' agl or less. Ask the "Mosby" pilot if he'd like to reconsider that "collective-first" policy. Oh wait, you can't.