PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 20th Dec 2013, 22:07
Sven Sixtoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Anfi and all

On the Sea King, it having had various sorts of TR failures both control and drive over the years, we practised to the nth degree all the combinations. One thing I'm taking from all of that practice (literally hundreds of rehearsals of every possible failure at 6-month intervals over the course of about 20 years that we had the 6-axis sim) and all of the discussion here is that it never prepared me for double engine failure with zero warning when I was doing something else altogether eg in the hold on a procedural rating. So I have no experience of the problem of total power loss getting the Nr down below critical, taught as a specific exercise rather than finding ourselves in the sim-calculated coffin corner. But I do know that we were NEVER taught to chop power as an early action for a TR failure other than in the specific case of drive failure in the low hover, and we did that one as a specific so often that we knew it as a unique condition.

I find it difficult to believe that any pilot regards removal of power as a valid generic solution to tail rotor problems, and further that any organisation would suggest it to be so.