PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 20th Dec 2013, 21:59
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree, great post TET. This thread is otherwise a chore to read.

I am with the half who will not get a free beer from Peter. I believe the aft cyclic fixation is not appropriate and introduces a robotic response that is sometimes more dangerous than helpful. Re read TET's post for one example.

I do agree that it is appropriate in some circumstances, but the point is not ALL circumstances which is what is being offered up as the mantra. I do not understand the fixation on arguing with everyone about why it works and then only using examples where it is appropriate. FH1100's last post continues that methodology.

If you really need a simplification for a complex flight system that really does fit every scenario, in every emergency then try this:

NR is life. Maintain NR. Nothing else is more important.
The next most important is potential energy. Potential energy is airspeed and altitude (yes blade inertia too and some other factors, but keep it simple)

And to exploit this NR then potential energy system, sometimes aft cyclic will help. Sometimes it will not. Are we really not smart enough to train and learn which actions are appropriate in which circumstances?

Potential energy gives you ...well... Potential! And TET said it best, fly at height and speed wherever possible. I do. And those who want to always pull back on the cyclic first and earn a free beer from Peter had better REALLY make sure they do too.