PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 20th Dec 2013, 19:59
Lonewolf_50

Received 453 Likes on 285 Posts
Pete, before you go on about leading with the cyclic, I suggest you ponder on how a lot of models of helicopters
have control mixing that make compensatory movements in other control channels when one moves a single channel. Each helicopter model will have its own unique mix and balance based on its overall design.

The difference between the lateral coupler in an SH-2 and the far more complicated control mixing in the SH-60 mixing unit is an example I am familiar with. I am not up to speed enough on FBW suites to understand how that control mixing is done.

With some aircraft, you may have a control mixing combination that, when you lower the collective is already compensating with a pitch command independent of cyclic input, and that coupling may be up, may be down. You really have to know which aircraft you are flying, which once again makes me leary of your one size fits all approach.

Interesting thing about reaction times. As true in FW as RW, but maybe more dire in RW due to our peculiarities.

Factors will include: training, recency of experience, quality of experience, do you really know your aircraft, and of course and the "startle factor."
I think we agree that we have a crap load more variables in autorotational entry than the current energy state of the aircraft and the rotor system. Nice of you to cherry pick a crash, how many non crashes did you investigate?

Don't get me wrong, Pete. I appreciate your efforts.
My skepticism regards the oversimplification you are pounding away at.

Control Nr.
How do you do that?
Depends on your flight condition and energy state.

Your complaint of oversimplification in re the collective (as though people only fly with one hand ... do they? **** me, that's scary!) can be applied to your oversimplification in re the cyclic.

I like the emphasis on simultaneous.
Why?
It's how I was trained.
It's how helicopters are (generally) flown.

FH110:
The "Maintain RPM" squawkers apparently would prefer to decelerate from cruise to best-auto speed while descending for a power-off landing
Please don't make **** up. What you did there is called a strawman, which weakens your attempts at argument.
But one of your points I'd like to heartily concur with:
When you aren't otherwise constrained, fly at an altitude and airspeed that gives you TIME to deal with that problem ... cannot agree more!
Well said.