PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lake Evella crash findings
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2003, 14:14
Used and Abused

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that the particular operator can be blamed for the death. All of us as pilots know the risks of beat-ups etc. I think that it is wrong to blame the operator.

However

The company has a responsibilty, like all operators, to treat their pilots as valued employees. It is not the choice of the pilot to live in Arnhem Land, nor is it their intention to be paid so they "can survive". The operators of that company know that the only way their pilots survive is by "supplimenting" their income. Sure it is a good experience (looking back of course ) but we are still qualified professionals getting paid less than your average 15 year old Maccas flipper.

I truely believe that when you show somebody respect, you get respect in return. If these operators looked after their pilots, thanked them for hard work etc, maybe they would see their employers in a better light. Nobody ever thinks they will die (it won't happen to me etc) but everybody fears that one indiscretion may cost their job and if that job is valued, then it's not worth the risk.

Just my bitter and jaded opinion.