PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2013, 09:53
Educated Armourer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has taken me months to work my way through the 243 pages that are currently here and I have been fascinated much of the time. I tend to only look at PPrune at work and therefore, lunchtimes etc but well worth the effort. I have read many posts that have left me in awe and I feel under qualified to add – but add I will.

The tales of the slightly more recent basic training struck so many chords, though after Swinderby in the very early 80s I went to Cosford rather than Halton as that is where the cream of trades, the Armourers had recently moved, leaving the ancillary trades down south for a few more years (without the armourers all you would have would be a glorified flying club etc). While at Swinderby I saw racism and some bullying, but mostly I saw instructors that were very good at their job and turned us raw civvies into what we had to be to become cold war warriors. Almost 20 years later, in the very late 90s I was subjected to IOT and the SNCOs were very similar in attitude, but more politically correct than the ones that I had first met all that time ago. Again, excellent at their job. It was the flight commanders that I thought varied more as for some it seemed to be a punishment tour. My flight commander was excellent, but others seemed to revel in petty rules and catching people out. Overall a very good course, but in need of a re-vamp – which has now been carried out and is hopefully even better.

Over the years I have worked fairly regularly with the Army, Navy and Marines (both as a ranker and as an officer) and I have enjoyed the experience – but it has always reinforced my gratitude that I completed the paperwork in the RAF CIO all those years ago rather than elsewhere, having seriously considered the REME for a while. With more than 33 years in uniform (I am now full time reserve) I would do it all again if I had to – but my experiences pale into insignificance when I read the early postings in this thread and wonder if I could have done the same.

I accept that my first post on this thread has added nothing of value - but I wanted to add my praise to Danny and all who have made it what it is.