PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 19th Dec 2013, 20:13
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
SASless:
Simultaneously......is defined to mean "At the same time".....the usage of the phrase "Aft Cyclic AND Down Collective" is not order specific. Either way it could be written with the words Collective or Cyclic in either sequence means nothing other than the one set of words has to be written before the other.....and that is all the hell it means.
I think that's very presumptuous of you. The NTSB reports are not thrown together as haphazardly as some people post on PPRUNE. They're carefully thought-out and worded. The fact is, they didn't put the "lower collective" item first. So nobody, least of all the great and wonderful, all-knowing SASless can infer or imagine or fantasize what they meant by writing it the other way 'round. (See, Bob? That's why nobody likes you! You have absolutely no respect for any of the egotistical, self-important blowhards on forums like these.)

In any event, it's true that a coordinated, simultaneous lowering of the collective and making an aft cyclic input would not hurt. But neither would making the aft cyclic input first. And in fact there are some obvious benefits to doing so, as I've stated. Had the "Mosby" pilot listened to the preachings of good Brother Gillies, he and his crew might not be dead now. I know, I know...pure speculation. But let the record show that, *if* he put the pitch down at all, the aircraft ended up lawn-darting at 40 degrees nose down. OUCH!

For the record, the "Mosby" Astar was not in level cruise when his engine quit; he was in a shallow descent. He stayed pretty much at 600' agl during the 30 minute flight, but as he neared the airport, being obviously over-anxious and stressed-out he began a premature descent and was only at 250-300' agl while still more than a mile from the field boundary when it quit on him. So...what...maybe another degree or two nose-down?

The other thing is that the NTSB did a lot of research about AS350 autorotational qualities in the sim. We all know that as good as sims are, they do not and cannot replicated every flight regime with complete accuracy. There may be aspects of the very weird dynamics of an engine failure at high speed cruise-descent that the sim "misses" or just synthesizes differently from the real aircraft.