PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2013, 16:26
Pom Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A civilian transit 1968

Firstly BEagle I find your rules rather offensive. I always know where I have come from, mostly I know where I am, likewise I know where I am going and generally know how to get there.

Danny, I suspect a number of the rules applied for your trip were for your own safety and secondly to cause inconvenience to Herr Ulbrich and his minions. In uniform you were official and could not be classified a spy. Five minute spacing to cause maximum inconvenience. Was 100 kph their rule? A Wartburg could not catch up if you went any faster. They probably lay hidden like today's traffic police, a 1 mile tail chase is easier than trying to catch another car with 5 minutes start.

Anyway my story arrive Helmstedt, big sign and arrow "All Military Traffic" points to a large building. So that's where you all went. Can't remember if there was a West German out control. Continuing forward through a longish zigzag to a very substantial barrier, have to turn right into a parking lot. Park up and motioned into a long hut. Given a long form to fill in, realise this is for a transit visa, no we want a proper entry visa not transit. A conference behind the counter and searching of papers on desks, "We have no visas for you". Produce letter of invitation, another conference followed by telephone calls. "Your visas are in Berlin, please complete this form." Complete transit visa form. "Many Deutch marks please and fill in this form". But this for insurance, "I already have insurance", show green card. "No this insurance is for the DDR, you are not entering the DDR, this is for transit insurance." Give up and hand over more DM. Given back passports and transit visa and told this visa is only valid for x? hours you must complete your journey in this time. Complete the journey having cruised at about 85 mph, big queue to exit the DDR due to every vehicle being thoroughly searched for refugees. Decide we driven enough for 1 day (from Bracknell virtually non stop) and there will more entertainment and comfort in the West Berlin.
Next morning proceed to Check Point Charlie, greeted by a saluting American MP, "Are you sure you want to go in there?" "Yes". Waved on under the barrier to be directed into another parking lot with a smaller long hut. Present passports, a quick glance and "Ah Mr xxx and Mr xyy we were expecting you yesterday"!!!!!!!!!
There much more but its even more off topic.