PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lake Evella crash findings
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2003, 18:43
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there are two separate issues here.

A person has died because he pushed beyond the laws of physics.

The operator is using the over supply of pilots to their advantage. Much the same as most others do.

I don't think the gentleman went out that day saying "I'm getting paid nothing, I'm going to do a beat up". It might more have been along the lines of "Ah the boys will love this - it will look and sound awsome".

This is NOT to say that this young man may have used all his skills everyday to stay alive, and to stop clapped out heaps of sh1t from killing him. This is also NOT to say that "getting by" is ok. This is NOT to say that he wasn't pressured a million times and even when not direclty pressured felt pressures to do things that were wrong and dangerous (read: wet season... go or be gone).

I think the above pressures may blur the focus of a pilot and may leave a pilot jaded and therefore more likely to go astray. What I cannot say is that the operator is responsible for the mans death.
If he had made a normal departure that day he would be alive today and the world would be a better place to have him still on board.

As for the operator who knows? I'm sure they have done some serious soul searching. I'm sure the people that pulled him from the wreckage must have. Brave people indeed.

Viewing that sort of carnage is highly reccomended to pilots that are thinking of doing any tricks and to operators who have lost a grip on reality and are pushing people continually beyond the realms of safety.