PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching
Thread: Ditching
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2013, 08:28
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500ft

What a load of rubbish that article is. Yes of course a ditching is survivable! You put down into a long straight stretch of river and you have a giant runway to make sure the landing is spot on.
These guys seem to discount everything to make their argument one crossing long stretches of water!!!

survivable if one of four occupants lives etc.

I did not think we were talking about landing near the edge of a lake or river but crossing the open sea.

He discounts ferry flights as not in the realm of the PPLs but what is the difference crossing the Irish sea or a ferry if the engine goes bang other than the time taken to get to you?

If you land in the middle of winter into a sea with waves the size of barn doors wearing a T shirt your chances of survival are small Yet many pilots fly like that.

i am sure we would not have much sympathy for someone who went mountain hiking in winter with summer clothes and this is the crux.

if you do anything which carries risk you owe it to yourself and more important to your passengers to minimise those risks as much as possible.

don't fly long distance over heavy seas where you cannot glide clear.

Don't set off near the evening when its likely to get dark.(many do)

Carry a life raft with a locator and life jackets! Have a plan how to get the life raft out?

immersion suits?

Ideally be on radar or at least talking to someone giving position reports

fly as high as you can.

change tanks before leaving the shore and make sure everything is working properly.

Carry something to smash your way out if need be a mini firemen axe.

open the door before hitting the water and jam it with a coat or some other item so pressure of water does not keep it jammed shut.

I am sure others can think of loads of tips i have missed but its really no different to going skiing be prepared for the worst and with the equipment you carry.

Pace