PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 19th Dec 2013, 03:39
GipsyMagpie

There is a theory....

I am exactly talking about what happens with controls locked. That's what the whole post was about. Its theoretical. If you haven't as you've stated done something about it you are dead! And yes the nose does drop when the pilot drops the collective. Its like the demo on flapback and inflow roll you get when first doing basic transitions - nice for a demo but the pilot (hopefully) instantly compensates and it becomes something the instructors scribble about on a board.

And turns out my explanation is remarkably close to the one in FTM 107 - Google it. Chapter 10 is the one you want.

As for not passing it on to students, it all depends on the student. Sure, not a basic guy, but its a worthy discussion point on a black weather day. I am in no way advocating any technique based on the fact the nose might pitch up a tiny amount on engine failure. The yaw will be the dominant factor.

Great to hear the war stories. All my experience is from practice engine failures to determine the avoid curve and maximum pilot intervention delay time so hearing real stuff is great. Had plenty of single fails though - perhaps you should go to a nice reliable twin or triple.

Cheers GM

Last edited by GipsyMagpie; 19th Dec 2013 at 03:42. Reason: typo