PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2013, 22:28
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course the lobbying effort should include The Greens!

That’s why I keep saying “the non-major party aligned Senators”. That includes The Greens!

The next time the government asks The Greens for its ‘wish-list’ in return for support for some government legislation (as has already happened with the ‘debt ceiling’), what is the risk to The Greens and how hard would it be for them to add to the list: “Finalisation of substantive actions to address the recommendations of the Senate Inquiry into Aviation Accident Investigations”? You might find this a revelation, but members of The Greens may have the smarts to work out that it’s in the public interest for those recommendations to be properly addressed.

Ask all the other non-major party aligned Senators to do the same, come 1 July 2014. They’ll get chances to give the government their ‘wish-list’ as well.
I listened very carefully to remarks made by Sen. Fawcett during the AMROBA meeting Friday last. Then I listened twice more, once you get the cotton wool out things become much clearer. I respect Fawcett, but you can see (or hear in this case) where he's hamstrung and although he tries to show the way, he really can't push the barrow too far. The disappointing thing is realising this as a fact of political reality.
You see: Now that you’re past the denial, anger and depression phases, you’re now into the all-important realisation and renewal phases.

Politics has almost nothing to do with what’s right or wrong. It’s almost entirely about what’s expedient. Come the day that the government desperately wants something passed through the Senate, and all the non-major party aligned Senators say: “Not until substantive actions have been finalised to address the recommendations of the Senate Inquiry in Aviation Accident Investigation”, that’s when something substantive will happen. Until that day, forget the government. If the government cared about the recommendations, it would already have done something substantive about them.