PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 18th Dec 2013, 12:46
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TOTD: well spotted and congrats on spotting that (unless you have been speaking to Crab earlier who commented the same elsewhere).
This is indeed an area which requires careful deliberation (on the ground before it goes per shaped for real) regarding a response from the pilot.
I think it was mentioned by a previous poster that each a/c is different when it comes to its characteristics during an engine failure.
I could write a book on donks stopping because of this but I have got to go and watch paint drying shortly so I won't...but in brief:
"generally" if the donk stops @ 5 ' taxiing or in the hover, you will probably hit the deck before you know what the f*ck has happened. Any higher and an element of check down on the collective is fed into the equation to reduce the amount of decaying Nr such that the final raising of lever to absorb the landing is less exciting to bystanders. From 30-40 feet and higher, almost all helos will require a slight check down on collective to slug the decaying Nr before the big armpit up movement of collective. In all situations, you will be pleased to note that no aft cyclic was used in the making of any of these simulations