PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 18th Dec 2013, 11:00
Grenville Fortescue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GipsyMagpie
After an total power failure assuming no pilot action and forward flight the rotor speed will decrease. This will have greatest effect on the advancing blade (think standard lift formula). This will result in the front of the disc flapping down (flap forward - effect 90 degs onwards). The aircraft will therefore pitch nose down. In the hover there is no difference in lift across the disc so the dominant effect would probably be a reduction in downwash on the horizontal stabiliser so again nose pitch down. This may also contribute in fwd flight.

A lot of other stuff happening will mask this however like the yaw.

And I humbly suggest this is probably wrong. (But seem to remember this occurring on a demo I saw once upon a time.)
GipsyMagpie much obliged.

Therefore I suggest that if one is in the cruise flying manually the instinctive response will be to "level" the aircraft (ie. apply aft cyclic), followed by a reduction in collective.

What I am interested to know is what are the current procedures for a two crew response to a double engine failure.

Flying the early twins single pilot you had to decide fairly quickly which engine had failed in a loss of power scenario, in a two crew environment responsibilities can be shared between flying the aircraft and confirming instrument readings.