PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 18th Dec 2013, 09:52
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Peter, I have been a strong supporter of your CYCLIC-AFT policy for all normal operations (excluding hovers and extreme low level where specific techniques need to be taught and practised that are paradoxical).

However, your statement that lowering the collective will not stop the Nr decaying must surely not be true if the Nr, at the point the lever hits the floorplate, is at least in the green and probably in the "Safe" margin proved during certification (thanks TPs).

There is always a little hiatus until the ROD develops and the airflow reverses through the disc. This differs according to type but does not last long if the lever is lowered fully with NR in the green range.

I think the flare (cyclic aft) removes the hiatus by more rapidly reversing the airflow through the disc and therefore will help any situation where the NR is too low and certainly nuetralises decay faster than waiting for the hiatus to end. For this reason I support the cyclic aft policy for normal cruise flight BUT surely, the lever must be fully lowered as fast as possible.

If your statement was true I beleive there would be no condition of stable Nr in autorotation.

DB