PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 17th Dec 2013, 18:56
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
HC:
As I don't fly, nor ever flew the S76, why was that crap tossed at me, HC? In the twin engine helicopters I flew, we had separate performance charts for SE operations. SEAS was a critical T/O (reaching and passing) and Approach (going below) call out in the cockpit. Gee, I wonder why we did that, flying off of small deck ships. Care to share your pet theories? (Where is a sarcasm smiley when you need one?)
Started for me in about 1982.
It was tossed at you because you don't seem to "get" the fundamental difference in mindset between a single engine pilot and a multi engined pilot on this side of the pond. S76 was just an example of twins that I know to have been flown in GoM without adequate performance to land offshore or return home on one engine - if one engine failed, a controlled ditching was considered quite acceptable (and I don't just mean during To/LDG exposure period).

Wading through a lot of waffle and bickering on this thread, I do think this point may be critically relevant to the original topic (135 accident, in case we have forgotten!)