PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 17th Dec 2013, 18:20
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
In reviewing the many posts I see several that claim lowering or bottoming the lever will stop the rotor rpm from decreasing.

This is not true!

This action does nothing more than reduce the rate at which the rotor rpm is falling.

It will continue to fall unless aft cyclic is applied in time to keep the rpm above the critical point.

Pete,

Every time I am about to agree with you....making some allowance for wording.....you throw me another curve ball.

Are you saying a fully bottomed Collective, in fully established Autorotation (in a properly rigged helicopter), will not result in a safe Rotor RPM......and that the only way to achieve a safe Rotor RPM is by use of a decelerative maneuver using Cyclic?

You say the RPM will fall until it reaches the "Critical Point".....are you saying the "Critical Point" is where the Rotor can no longer be driven by air moving upward through the Rotor System and thus the Rotor will continue to decrease in RPM till it no longer facilitates an autorotative landing?

Answer a few other questions please.

Every Aircraft Type Maintenance Manual has a procedure for calculating and checking for Autorotational RPM.

As part of routine maintenance and checking for air worthiness....that Check is done using the approved procedure.

The Target RPM always falls within the authorized Power Off RPM Limits set forth by the Manufacturer of the Helicopter.

That Target RPM is not the "Critical" RPM that has been discussed here in the definition of the RPM at which loss of rotational drive in autorotation is lost.

As I read your post quoted above.....I interpret it to say a properly rigged Helicopter will never stabilize Main Rotor RPM in a steady state Autorotation.

Am I not understanding what you are trying to say?