PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo supervision Lapsed SEP
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2013, 16:54
3 Point

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying that the purpose of sending a refresher course student solo is to side-step the rules. The value of solo flying is the same for a pre-licence student as it is for a licence holding but expired class rating pilot. It develops judgement, confidence and airmanship.

FO Kite; so, if a pilot undertakes a training course reaching solo standard and then, for some reason stops for a couple of years then picks it up again what's the problem with that? If he actually passes his licence and then stops for a few years before starting again his training requirement will be determined by the HoT at and ATO. If that HoT decides that solo flying would be valuable and includes it in his "assessment of training" then what's the problem??

The great thing about the EASA FCL philosophy is that it specifically devolves this sort of decision to individual HoTs who are experts in the training of pilots. The old system with its "one size fits all" approach had effectively removed this flexibility, or at best left it to the CAA to make decisions based on reading someone's log book and considering his total hours. Now, as an HoT I can go on a flight with the holder of an expired rating, see for myself what training he needs, write that down and then have my team of instructors deliver it. Much better and more effective.

Different HoTs will have different views but Part FCL seems to be sufficiently mature to accept that - well done the Eurocrats!

Happy landings

3 Point