PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow 3 - Gatwick 2
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2013, 11:32
LNIDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dj6

its doable but far from ideal. Having read the report, i think its both realistic and independent, but politically aware, which is good.

Of course extending 27R could be passed off as extending rather than a new runway, but frankly GB PLC deserves better than that, Boris Island is dead in the water, it would mean closing both LHR (only one hub) and London City airport due to airspace concerns, that would be a huge bill and a seismic shift in London's business and domestic population.

London Gatwick needs another runway anyway, despite what the CEO says if LHR get the green light, politically DC cannot do a u-turn on this, Labour on the other hand probably couldn't careless about the non labour voters of West London or LGW and had previously approved a 3rd runway at LHR.

Until we run out of oil or something to replace it, then demand will continue to rise, as the report points out a 3rd of Londoner's where born overseas so there will continued demand for VFR (visiting Friends & relatives) and thankfully the crackpot idea's of using regional airport to temper SE demands is shown as unworkable.

I would bite the bullet and go for 4 runway option at LHR (new full length SW runway >3800m) and a shorter northern runway(<2500m) for aircraft up to 737/321 size to allow for more domestic services to other parts of the UK & Europe plus a airport to HS2 interchange that would put Leeds/Manchester within 2 hours of LHR rail head, North of that its quicker and cheaper to fly, i would allow LGW to build a 2nd runway if it can fund it.

Zac Goldsmith/Boris.......the next prime minster will be neither of them....