PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy debuts the P-8A Poseidon at the Dubai Air Show
Old 17th Dec 2013, 09:50
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is your paper available for more to read.

I assume you are talking about detection by passive acoustics. What about radar detection/ deterrence opportunities, active acoustic techniques.
Paper was published in an academic defence journal in April 2001, after being cleared for release by the MOD. Not sure if it can be found online without one of those research paper search applications?? In any event, I'd blow my pprune cover if I did find a link to it. I might do that anyway, but if so I'll go for it March 2014...the 4 year anniversary of the end of our nation's long range fixed wing maritime patrol capability.

The basis of the paper was...

Modern SSK do not need to use the surface for any reason. Air Independant Propulsion, fuel cell and advanced battery technology has removed the need to snort. Data fusion technology has removed the need for periscopes for attack solutions and comms can be completed submerged. Bear in mind this was all valid 15 years ago (with something like the German T212), so we have come on aways since. They also have no MAD signature.

Radar, MAD and passive acoustics are useless against a modern SSK, so the best hope for the future (as I wrote in 2001) lay with long range active sonar, such as multi static active (also known as extended echo ranging). This has the added advantage of being hyper aggressive and putting a lot of sound in the water...which will **** up the submariners whole day.

The yanks have had a buoy for this for yonks...

AN/SSQ-110/A Extended Echo Ranging (EER) Sonobuoy

... and I assume development continues, but I've been out the game for 10 years.

This is the sort of capability we would need in any modern fixed wing ASW capable aircraft whatever label you hang on it.

And to be clear...we are not fighting to keep a long range fixed wing ASW capability...that has long since departed.

We are fighting for the funds to start building a new one.

Again, I believe we have no chance and again, I hope I'm wrong.

word of advice...anybody out there whose livelihood is wrapped up in this...make damn sure you have a plan B