PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 17th Dec 2013, 09:42
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter: good morning to you in sunny California.

If I might re-iterate a couple of points to further clarify some misunderstandings:

You said:
Note that I say "Cyclic back and collective (lever) down simultaneously, or in that order." It is simply wrong in my opinion to prioritize the collective ahead of the cyclic, especially if one's left hand is not on the collective. This would mean not moving the cyclic until the left hand could find the collective and lower it. This would be a huge mistake.

There is no harm at all in starting the cyclic back immediately to stop, not slow, the reduction of rotor rpm, which is all that lowering the lever does.

I have an admission to make. In all my years of flying (30+), I have probably spent 90% in the presence of military pilots. Both inside the mil and outside the mil (ex mil pilots). Occasionally I have flown with civilian (what we call "self improver") pilots and given the opportunity, changed their way of thinking about the controls in general.
We (and the convertees) were taught to keep our hands on the controls as much as possible and never be too far away from the collective. But I do understand the impracticalities of keeping your hand on the collective always.

Now: the main issue: "aft" cyclic (to use your terms) first. Because there are several permutations where aft cyclic would never be a good idea (in any climb / in the hover / travelling downwind at low speed / close to the ground at low speed / in a dive, etc etc) one can NEVER ever make the statement: aft cyclic first and then collective. But one can ALWAYS say: collective first and then cyclic. Because of this - I stand fast with this ethos.
Finally - I am very surprised at the lack of knowledge you advertise about your fraternity over there. Shocked even, when it comes to American Instructors being unaware of dropping the Nr out of the green. Obviously a systemic failure of the training world and I now fully understand why you and others have an uphill mission! Good luck with it........

Gordy:
H/V curve...I do understand and that is why I covered my 6 by quoting BOTH the operational AND the limitations sections for the H/V curve because it depends on the operation you are conducting (private Vs public for one) and where the OEM parks the notice.

Re the necessity to hover inside the H/c this has already been discussed with 50 / 170' and myself to everyone's satisfaction, I might add. Rest assured.

Feel free to support Peter's views - are you American trained?

Double Bogey: you really do yourself no favours and certainly don't know when to give it a break - do you. How big is that chip on your shoulder. Let's move on - please, for the sake of the credibility of this forum....