PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 17th Dec 2013, 09:42
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
DB,

In response to 500guy's accidents stats, you looks like you imply that the 5 serious and 2 dead linesman is an outrageous amount. This is over 35 years in one specific part of utility operation. Now, how many offshore deaths is it in the same period may I ask? And how many is in twin's? And how many did the pilot just c..k up? 35 years would amount to at least a 3 digit number
Obviously, 500's post only took the stats from one specific type of aerial work, and utility work as an overall may not be the same. However, the majority of the accidents happens in bad weather, flying into various obstacles in perfectly running machines..(a very different story) and NOT from engine failures in the h/v curve.

TC,

Not knowing the difference of
hundreds of real engine failures in singles
and practise EOL's (engine stopped or not) is quite shocking, coming from a self-proclaimed helicopter-god like you.
well tried fact of life that hovering inside the H/V curve ends in tears.....as it did with your previous post statistics.
You can try to sum up the amount of hours hovered in the h/v curve in that line of business over a period of 35 years, and then 2 persons have lost their life and 5 have sustained ''serious injuries'' like a broken wrist.....

Same can be said about the conception that the h/v curve is part of the Limitations section. As the FM goes, it's only the limitations which is defined by law, the others are guides. ie. you can read out from the performance section your theoretical AUW OGE, but if you're able to lift off with more due to wind etc. that is what you work with in real life.

I'd like to see you install markerballs while staying out of the HV curve
Yeah, would be a bit more challenging with a 500ft line BTW, it seems evident that TC don't have a concept of what aerial work is.

DB and TC,

If you think we are whazzing about in the h/v curve for the fun of it, it shows us that you don't have respect for the work we do. We all limit the time we are operating in there, and for every flight not requiring me to enter the h/v curve, I will avoid it. As said several time before, it is NOT a limitation.

Your argument would be like saying that operations down-wind is illegal as well... Not recommended, but legal either way.