PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 17th Dec 2013, 08:30
Peter-RB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems more and more like the Rotor on the downed Heli was not powered or autorotating, 1000ft would take possibly 2 to 4 seconds to be lost before contact with the ground(read Public House roof)....

So just how quickly would upward airflow, a slowing down set of engines drag from the powering down gearbox cause the main rotor to stop turning as seems to be the case with this particular helicopter incident, could it be that some sort of emergency on this type of engine/G/box/Rotor system would leave any experienced Pilot a similar time as has been quoted for the R22 in otherwords 1.1 seconds, which sadly would be lost in the blink of an eye whilst starting to scan vital instruments,...

As I am a PPL(H) this thread has been read from end to end by me but I still have great difficulty in understanding why it seems that the rotor was not turning to give the pilot some assitance, as a PPL I have practised Auto's many times on Robinsons, Jet Rs and the Gazelle, by following the known route they always worked,...so what stopped this emergency landing from happening on such a sophisticated Heli.? or do we all have to wait for the AAIB results..!

Peter R-B
Lancashire