PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Troubled airport XXX needs to diversify more
Old 17th Dec 2013, 08:15
Capetonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capetonian
If an aircraft flying is 'burning through your cash reserves' rather than making money, there is something wrong with your revenue management policy.

I think we have more than enough past and present examples to show that the "industry standard" in this respect is hopelessly out of touch with commercial reality.
You are very quick to rubbish the ideas of others but you are not coming up with any tangibles of your own. Maybe you are only talking in vague terms because you think you have a business plan and you think that if you reveal someone else will jump in before you.

There is a fundamental precept in business that you use your assets to produce revenue/profit. In the aviation industry that means that the aircraft produce revenue flying and don't produce revenue, may even cost money, when not flying. Airport and airlines look at alternative revenue streams, and rightly so, but their core business remains unchanged and that is what the customer wants. I don't go to my local Audi dealer to be sold a Christmas tree, and I don't go to the airport to get a massage or buy a raffle ticket for a Lamborghini, and I find having that all thrust in my face quite an annoyance.

What is the 'commercial reality' that you are referring to that the 'industry standard' is so out of touch with?