PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Makes an Outstanding Captain
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2013, 06:20
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spannersatcx A fairly common occurrence, aircraft arrives late for a transit stop and crew change. Every effort being made to catch up lost time and make ATC slot, long delays are forecast if slot missed, almost twelve hours flight time to destination. Engineering support from the local major carrier. Please swap positions for once, you are the on going captain.

FO sets off on walk around and I go to FD to set up aircraft, an engineer is in the captains seat, another in the FO's seat, no maintenance being carried out, the aircraft is 'clean', just checking the tech log etc. (usually, at most other stations, they sit in the front row of J class, out of everyone's way and do their bookwork there). "Excuse me but we are late and on a tight ATC slot, could I get to my seat please", "No, this is my aircraft until I sign it off and whilst it is my aircraft I will sit where I like", "Yes, I understand that but it would help us make our slot and get away on time if you sat behind, on the Jump Seat or in J", "That is not my problem".

You can see why, just occasionally, it is possible to get a bit 'short' with our colleagues? It happened in Europe, one guess at the station.