PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does your company describe circling approaches?
Old 17th Dec 2013, 05:45
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185
We have 113 posts on how to do a circling approach. How many of you do not have the 1000/3 limitation on your ticket, and how many of you without the limitation work for a company who allows circling approaches, and how many of you have actually made a circling approach within the last year...in the airplane?

Reply:

I hold 3 FAA type ratings and none of them have the restriction (727, 737, SD3).

One of the companies I currently fly at allows circling approaches. At that company I have made multiple circling approaches in actual IFR conditions within the last year.

That being said, what exactly was your point? That the "average" pilot these days goes from a 2 mile runway with an ILS to a another 2 mile runway with an ILS and doesn't actually require any situational awareness since ATC and George will handle it all for him? Because I could see that being a very real thing.
The point is that we're in the minority, and now, with over 120 posts, circling is being discussed in a manner that would cause one to think that it is a common occurrence, when in reality it is a fairly rare event, and rapidly becoming a lost art with the airline types.

Its also one thing to explain one's views on how to safely perform a circling maneuver, but another thing to actually do it.

Over 120 posts and we may be the only two, type-rated, current and qualified (Cat D, in my case) to do them. I guess I just find that odd.