PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skippers lose conquest at mine?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2003, 07:07
Sheep Guts
Props are for boats!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaunty,
Totally agree the FAR23 issue has to be resolved. The Twin Otter is an example. Here I fly it as a Multi Crew Aircraft only and we cant fly it Single Pilot because our SOPS reflect so.Here all operations involve a segmented Climb departure with decision speeds etc.But then all our Crews evetually go onto a Dash-8 (UNLESS YOUR AN EXPAT).

With regards to this Occurence, and we still wont know.
What ever went wrong, they did their best. Well done to the crew. In a Runaway situation you dont have much time to abort let alone control the thing. For starters you get false sense ie. your feet will be different to what you think, more power from the runaway, gives the sense of a failure on the good side.

I flew King Airs for a U.S. Company, we were trained during our Ground School to deal with a runaway once you passed a certain speed and deal with it in the air. I told them for myself that it Stilldepended on how much runway and clearway was available. Infact we had 2 speeds one was close to VMCA 72kts the other was around rotation 95kts. The second speed was used for the Rollback (failure) and the first for the Runaway(Overspeed). Remembering our machines had PT6-20S which had sepearte fuel Toppping governors which were prone to failure hence they removed them after this model PT6. To kill a Runaway and Overspeed was to cut the fuel conditionlever and feather ASAP . Ofcousre I got no idea about Garrets though. Just my 2 cents worth.