PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 17th Dec 2013, 02:08
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
I have read with interest this thread and been lurking..... Too many new people, and I do not do well in crowds... One thing stands out though:

TC
As a consequence of ignoring sound technical advice as shown in the FRM, Operations and Limitations Sections.........prolonged operations in the H/V curve
You do realize the H/V diagram is NOT in the limitations section of many flight manuals right?

PS: Describing the H/V curve as a "Disclaimer" is at least disingenuous, at most ignorant.
Not ignorant at all. I realize it is different in the UK, but there are a few of us who make a living flying inside that curve. Hence on this side of the pond it is often referred to as the "money curve". We do not go in there blindly, but with much forethought and risk mitigation as far as possible. As 500 stated it best:
Every operator I know recognizes and respects the performance envelope put out there by the test pilots and engineers. However, staying out of the avoid curve is just not a reality to our industry. Like you said, we do our best to limit the time there, limit weight to increase options in the event something goes wrong, and we all do far more than minimum required maintenance.
For the record----I am on Pete Gillies side of the fence with the aft cyclic, have been for many years. It simply buys time and to be honest, my right hand is almost never off the controls.

See you in 14 pages.....