PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2013, 01:23
itsnotthatbloodyhard

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
Nikki & co:

By all means, get wound up about QF pilot salaries. The $200/$300/$400 000 salaries you mention do sound like a lot (though they're likely inclusive of super and allowances), and I'm sure there are those who see that sort of cash. Thing is, though, it's just not representative of the average. (I know others have already tried to make this point, but I might as well waste my breath and make it again.) I'm a long haul FO with over 25 years of flying and 12+ years in QF, and from memory my last group certificate said something like $166k. Enough for me, but some way short of your 300. As for $400k, I will never ever see it, nor do I expect to.

Next point: someone over on Qrewroom asked what would be the effect of all QF LH pilots taking a 20% pay cut, and came up an annual saving of $56 million. A healthy-looking number, which I'm sure Alan would be grateful to receive. But to put it in context, that $56 million is:

A bit less than what's just been tipped into Jetstar Japan;

About 70% of the freight cartel fines;

About half what Dixon was personally able to extract for himself during his tenure (and also about what he'd have received for selling the company down the gurgler had the APA bid got up);

A bit over a quarter of the cost incurred by Joyce's shutdown (and that doesn't include the long-term/ permanent damage to the brand);

A very small proportion (10%?) of the increased borrowing costs due to the credit downgrade; and

A very very small proportion (5%?) of the amount that's been spent so far on the various Asian Jetstar franchises without any discernible return whatsoever.

So by all means, keep harping on pilots' pay. It'll make Alan, Leigh and Olivia happy, but you'll be missing the point.