PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does your company describe circling approaches?
Old 17th Dec 2013, 01:15
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aviatorhi
I hold 3 FAA type ratings and none of them have the restriction (727, 737, SD3).

One of the companies I currently fly at allows circling approaches. At that company I have made multiple circling approaches in actual IFR conditions within the last year.
You are absolutely correct – I also have several type ratings and none include a circle-to-land restriction. And I think I understand the relative use of the CTL (and the less-often-used clearance for the “contact approach”), and have flown my fair share of both of those tasks – none of which, by the way, were the highlight of my day for that day – other than I made it home or to the hotel in one piece. I also completely understand the occasional necessity for such clearances, and if these approaches are flown the way they were intended, and if the pilots flying them don’t deviate from the intent of the clearances or compromise the altitudes, distances, speeds, etc., they are safe –no compromise … but with every small deviation a pilot may make (intentionally or not) the safety factor is compromised substantially. Additionally, what I think is absolute “nuts” (that’s a technical term) is attempting to do this with any 2-aisle airplane. While anyone who flies the heavy metal knows just how maneuverable they are – they also know what kind of inertia builds up and how hard it is to make immediate adjustments. Taking one of those airplanes down into the weeds to wallow around looking for the runway is … well, I don’t think the moderators here would allow the language I had considered… but I think you get my meaning.