PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2013, 21:23
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's quite a contrast between AMS and CDG, B_T.

Whereas easyJet operates daily for the most part to CDG with AF now just operating daily too with either a Hop! E190 or CityJet RJ85, KLM operates AMS at 3 x daily in winter and 4 x daily in summer with easyJet chipping in at 9/10 weekly. Furthermore, KLM will be all E190 from mid February and three out of the four summer rotations will also be on the Embraer with the F70 doing the fourth (summer this year was 2 E190s and 2 F70s).

I'm keeping an eye on the Brussels route. It's been rebuilding quite steadily since 2009 when 31,250 passengers were carried that year to a current position at 45,143 for the first eleven months of this year which is an increase of 16.4% on the same period last year.

However, a check with the summer 2014 timetable shows the aircraft type as Brussels Airlines ARJ 85. I thought they only had the ARJ 100s now which might be too big for the route. I read somewhere that the SN-liveried Flybe Dash 8 Q400s are being returned after the winter although I can't confirm this.

It would be a great shame if the SN route went the same way as the AF appears to be going and BRU is a route that I can't see easyJet being interested in.

easyJet has been the making of BRS in terms of routes and passenger numbers but it will be extremely disappointing if they see off some of the 'traditional' airlines, although business is business of course. There is talk of an easyJet Jersey route. It probably wouldn't be more than daily and not even that in winter but what would it do to Blue Islands with their 2 x daily schedule throughout the year?

BRS passenger figures up again in November (CAA stats), this time by 5.2%. The rolling 12-month total is 6,113,839 (up 3.3% on this time last year) and the summer has bettered the summer of the previous best calendar year in 2008 when the airport handled 6.228 million. The winter months in recent years have been less busy than 2007/2008, although this November's 364,000 was 9,000 more than November 2008 so perhaps subtle changes are afoot.