PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Links won't open
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2013, 18:23
areobat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC - The viglink "opt out" function sets a no-track cookie and so depends on cookie persistence to tell a viglink using site not to insert the viglink redirection. I do not permit cookies to persist (I set FF to flush them all each time I close it), so I would have to remember to "opt out" each time I fired FF up. Even then, it is not clear what kind of tracking vignlink still does based on the opt-out cookie.

To see what I am talking about with the links, go to the opt out and click to "op-in" Then view this site with FF and hover over any external link. At the bottom of the FF window, FF will display the true destination of the link. With Viglink running on VB, the link will always start with apicdn .viglink .com (spaces added to prevent parsing). If you hover and select copy link location and then paste the link into Notepad or Word, you will see the same thing but with UTF8 (e.g., percent) coding.

When this is coded into the page, your system must still be able to resolve apicdn .viglink .com in order to display the destination URL. Security software, local network policy, and even ISP policy can prevent it from being resolved. When that happens, often one will see the viglink URL in your address bar as the browser waits for it to be resolved.

I installed Greasemonkey and the script so that the links are removed real-time so I don't need to depend on a persistent cookie.

Hope this helps.