PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2013, 17:39
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balsa model
So to get to alpha max, one has to apply sustained full back stick. I'm guessing that this means that as the full back stick is applied, the alpha limitter progressively increases its limit value from alpha prot to alpha max.
Out of curiosity, how much delay would this entail?
Fast process - The protected aircraft takes advantage of the electronics to get the maximum performance in the minimum time and outperform the non protected aircraft.

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
Thanks, I haven't found that figure yet.
I have some unofficial references for now, but I will try to locate and post some official ones ... Wilco
The back-stick reached about 17 deg (presumably maximum), but not for a measurable period prior to impact. That's the reason for my observation in (2), above. Why he did not pull harder from t -26 to t -3 is inexplicable, if only because it was delaying the desired attainment of alpha-max. The modest back-stick up to t -4 would, as you know, never achieve alpha-max.
I think it was all about the show ... Even if the planned altitude was for 100 ft AGL and the pilot pretended he thought he was maintaining just that, I would not be immensely surprised if his real intention was to go lower ... (?)
Pulling harder early in the sequence would have made the aircraft that was too fast climb far too early to his liking.
Late in the sequence, the pilot, now fully aware of the approaching trees, but well aware that thrust was not coming as he expected it, delayed as long as possible the pull up request.
Regrettably, I have mislaid the Airbus FCOM volumes dished out to us BCAL (British Caledonian) pilots on arrival at Blagnac for our conversion course on 1/1/1988.
I certainly would not blame you for courageously making space ...