PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 16th Dec 2013, 16:42
SASless

Received 515 Likes on 215 Posts
If you will read back through my posts you will see that I advocate using the Flight Controls appropriate to the situation you find yourself confronted with.

I have flown a few Helicopters over my career....and seemed to have survived despite some very serious attempts at killing myself.

The one thing I did that worked towards keeping me around at the end of the day to enjoy a few cold Beers was understanding there was no way to predict what your initial reactions to a sudden emergency would be as very few of us are clairvoyant and thus can see into the future very far.

I agree with Pete, DB, HC, Nick, John, John, and a bunch of others when we talk of using Aft Cyclic as part of the process of regaining lost Main Rotor RPM following a sudden loss of Engine drive to the Rotors.

Where I differ from Pete is I do not see that Cyclic movement as being absolutely necessary every single time as there are a great many situations where it does not apply. I also said moving the Cyclic aft in most cases would do no harm either but would not be very useful.

Airspeed is just one of the factors that affect Rotor RPM in Autorotation. One example is the Bell 206 with its Vne Autorotation Speed marked in Blue not he Airspeed Indicator.

Other Airspeeds that apply are those for Minimum ROD and Max Range.

You are absolutely correct when you say "Practice" EOL's do not compare to the "Real" thing.....and for a number of reasons beyond that you note.

Please don't include me in the "Maintain Attitude" crowd....as I equate that mindset as having the exact same Fallacy that the "Always move the Cyclic Aft" theory....as it does not fit EVERY situation that one might encounter.

If you were doing a Spray Turn and had the Nose of the aircraft well up or well down....and the engine quit.....keeping the same Attitude would prove rather terminal (just choosing one example).

Your comment about adjusting your Pitch Attitude to about Vy is sound.....in most cases but again.....not in all cases.

That is the danger of making "Boiler Plate" statements about helicopter flying....One has to be very careful not to paint yourself into an uncomfortable corner by doing so.

Think back over this discussion we have had.....is that not the case....affirmative statements that did not with stand a critical review and the reaction to those who were challenged?

If you take that same EC-135 you are talking about and do your EOL from Vy....in descending flight....say with about a 1,000 FPM ROD....would you really be hard pressed to survive without the use of a large amount of Aft Cyclic? The honest answer is "No" as you are already in a good descent, at the right airspeed, both the amount and rate of Rotor Droop would be minimal provided you completely lowered the Collective in a timely manner.

Brother Dixson suggested a Droop Rate of about 10% NR per Second....so we can visualize the difference between a 1-2 Second hesitation....as compared to a 3-4 Second hesitation.

Alter the situation to what you describe....Collective up under your armpit....screaming along like a Raped Ape....at MAUW.....have that complete loss of Engine Drive....then hesitate 3-4 seconds before you take any action? Reckon the outcome would be unattractive?

Now put yourself in the other extreme.....HOGE....pitch up under your armpit....lots of pedal in counteracting TR Torque.....and have that loss of engine power. You reckon that aft cyclic is going to do a lot for you?

We have to stay away from absolutes when we talk about flying helicopters....there are too many variables that we have to consider that affect what we do.