PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 16th Dec 2013, 16:11
500guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like im jumping into a fight amongst experts here but I will add something. I have done full downs in the R-22, R-44, S300, Bell 47, Hughes 500, and Bell 206. I've been through factory school for the R-22 and the 500. 95% of the auto entries were between 50-80 knots or fairly close to vy. I have done a few at high speeds inthe R-22 and the 500 and it was scary how fast RPM decayed even with quick reaction on the collective. I cant imagine school out there is doing training autos at 90 knots in an R-22 at max power. As stated in the Robinson trianing course it is 1.1 seconds before RPM reaches an unrecoverable point which was stated to be below 80% plus 1% per 1000' (as other have susggested, I'm sure there is a margin there, but it is better that the average pilot not know what that is.

My point is is the training autos most of us have done dont adiquately prepare us for a worst case scenario (high power, high speed, particularly in high speed ships that have low rotor inertia)

SAS, a 212 clipping along at 100knots in cruise is never going 2x vy and has a considerable abount of rotor inertia. So I wouldn't expect Pete's experiences to be the same as yours.

Fly something fast with a low inrtia rotor (like the EC135) and do some autos at high speeds. I think you will see that Pete's advice become quite appropriate.

I dont like how some of you guys are saying "maintian attitude" if you are in a S76 at a 140 knot attitude (or in a 500 for that mattter) you sure as heck dont want to maintain that.

Adjust your attitude to approx. vy. if you are exceeding it would be more correct.