PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 16th Dec 2013, 13:40
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DB: I haven't seen any previous questions you require an answer to - have I missed something?
Meanwhile on planet Earth:

I got to thinking about these EOL's I used to do:
I used to do EOL's at the end of every trip with my student (other than the bleedin obvious like taxiing back from IF etc). But there were dedicated EOL trips (I think they were "D20" and "D21 low level EOL's") I did on average one of each of these every week. Each trip usually comprised maybe 10+ EOL's dependent on student capabilities. So at a conservative estimate that was 20 a week minimum for say 20 weeks a year (the other times were other non GFP sorties). Tha makes 400 EOL's a year. A tour in the RN is only 2 years, so 800 EOL's. Three tours in my 17yrs = 2400 EOL's. Now let's all agree that these "EOL's" as I call them are not really EOL's in Peter Gillies dictionary because the engine stayed at FI throughout and even if one did complete the exercise by landing on the ground with "no engine" there was engine drag in there somewhere - he is quite right about that. But you have to agree as I am sure you must have done similar (though not to the same excessive numbers - in the Army with the Mk1) on the day of the race there is absolutely no room for error.
Now - of those 2400+ EOL's, I would suggest that every now and again, naughty Instructors (those who paired up for some SCT flew all these EOL's with the fuel cut off lever all the way back which replicated a total engine failure and a pleasure to fly because of the lack of that high whine turbine in your ears. Again being conservative, let's make it less than 10% of all my EOL's carried out like this, shall we = 200 full on EOL's?
So, yes I'm proud to declare that I have carried out hundreds of real engine out landings in my life and not bent one a/c.
Next question buddy?

Oh - PS:Glad to see you have fallen into line vis a vie the Collective and then the cyclic - good boy.

PPS: Take note of this drubbing you are getting from others - only yourself to blame old boy. Take it on the chin and move on.......I do It's called humbleness.