PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 16th Dec 2013, 12:27
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
The Canadian TSB Report on the Cougar Crash off Newfoundland.

When we talked of a "Shields Down" review of the Offshore Helicopter Industry....this Report would be a good start.

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...6/a09a0016.pdf

Surely SAS you must agree that the most efficient and sensible way to recover decayed NR is to flare.
NO.... I do not agree with such a blanket, covers all possibilities, statement.

As I have said before....in this thread....if you have airspeed to trade....yes....it cannot hurt and does use "energy" that is available.

I have said...."moving the Cyclic Aft in most cases will do no harm...".

I have also said....Cook Book Pilots kill themselves with great regularly.

Knowing instinctively what is the best reaction to a sudden dangerous situation is the key to Survival.....and one cannot do that using a single reaction derived from a "Cook Book" way of piloting.

By the way.....I was wrong.....I count the Co-Pilot recommending "Ditching" three times to the Captain.

Also....the Captain mis-diagnosed the problem and failed to properly assess the indications being provided by the aircraft instrumentation.

There was no discussion in the Cockpit about the 30 Minute Run Dry capability at all. It would appear the Sea State and Weather combined with his thinking it was a pump failure that drove his decision.

I suggest a slow methodical reading of the TSB Report....as it might prove beneficial to one's views on that Crash.

The TSB found issues in multiple areas, Certification, Training, Aircraft Documentation, SOP's, Engineering/Maintenance, HSE, CRM, and Human Factors.

Last edited by SASless; 16th Dec 2013 at 12:40.