PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BALPA fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2013, 09:25
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seniortarget,

sorry I missed your post there (probably due to the slagging off that followed it)

I am not very au fait with opportunities on Embraer (or are you a Dash man ? ) but it seems Emb time is quite acceptable to get you into a Bus/ Boeing, so perhaps you have to look at a type change (hopefully not involving SSTR, but maybe a bond ? )
Q400 Commanders have recently gone into Sun Express as DEC on B738, so it seems that the market for experienced Commanders is fairly buoyant at least on a global scale.

In terms of location, well, difficult to recommend Turkey, but you may have to accept a period of cr@p involving commuting until experience on a new type gets you back home. Not fun I know (only too well) but you have to look a couple of years down the line.

It is purely personal opinion, but my experience of these scenarios tells me that the time to move is NOW, so that you jump, rather than are pushed. It is easier to find opportunities & to stand out in a pile of C.Vs if the pile is not chock a block with your peers all applying for the same thing at the same time.
If you truly feel that your demise is likely, difficult as it may be , the time to act is now.

We all have different ties/priorities but my UK company opening a French base ,coincident with an impending divorce on my part, was the best thing that happened to me in terms of quality of life 21 years ago.

12 years in France 9 in Spain, I cannot think of circumstances that would tempt me back.
Different strokes/Different folks & all that, but most colleagues who have left the UK (excluding those that commute back on days off) don't seem in a rush to go back. The World is a big place, our island is quite small(minded)in the grand scheme of things. Great to visit once in a while, that way you only see the good stuff.