PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus touch-and-go
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2013, 08:13
dsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus touch-and-go - update

It is interesting to note that more than 800 people read my request, and no one felt like commenting.

Perhaps I should add that once a year I run, at the Sapienza University of Rome (Engineering faculty), a seminar about avionics evolution and the role of automation. Last year we compared Boeing and Airbus philosophies and a number of issues were discussed.

The most interesting aspect is how the added automation actually adds to the workload of the pilot in situations where you would expect the same workload to be less (training of course reduce that). As automation is based on an operational paradigm, the need to learn that paradigm is now part of a pilot background. By highlighting these issues we hope to have engineering students that "thinks" avionics with a better grasp of the operational issues and the implications that any design choice carry with itself in the real world.

This said, it is interesting to analyze automation in borderline situation, like the touch and go scenario where the same sequence, approach, land, go-around, climb, approach ... is repeated more times.

At least two different AOM does not provide any info about that, so I was wondering about other sources of information on this. I wouldn't be surprised if that scenario is only managed in full manual, or at least Selected, modes only, but perhaps this is not the case.

Thanks again in advance for any contributions.