PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Links won't open
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2013, 17:50
areobat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the problem you are having is that this site is infected with the viglink virus. Or at least, that's what I call it. Viglink is tracker the follows you to other sites and for certain sites, if you buy something or take advantage of some service, the owners of this site get a kickback via vigllink. It's a HUGE moneymaker for them. Most of the special interest BBS sites have the same infection. If you hover over a link, your browser will display the true destination and you will see that all external links go through viglink. Viglink runs a small javascript to ensure it can track you across many sites.

I refuse to be bought and sold and I don't permit people on our corporate network to be so either, so I have blocked access to viglink from within corporate network (people shouldn't be reading forums as work anyway) and I have blocked it from my home network. This creates a problem where links will fail (because they can't get to viglink) but I have fixed that with a Firefox/Greasemonkey script that removes the viglink redirection.

You should check to see if your anti-virus/privacy software is blocking the viglink redirection. I have also had people on other boards that I am a member of report that their ISP blocks viglink as well - this is especially true if you are with a non-US ISP. I showed them how to setup the script and all was well.

Good luck.