PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type 1 diabetic class 1 medical
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2013, 17:27
Matty J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an interesting discussion regarding type 1 diabetes. I have been type 1 now since 2004 & prior to that I was mid-way through my PPL. As my dream was to become a commercial pilot once I was diagnosed I gave up after realising that dream had been snatched from me.

At the time I worked at Stansted airport and was worried that my medical would be invalid & I would no longer be able to continue as a tug driver and work on the manoeuvring area. This was not the case I was still fully permitted to tow and dispatch multi-million pound aircraft around the airport. I was frustrated at the rules for diabetics regarding type 1 medical and believe that the law makers don't really understand the condition! I have never had a hypo in my life and if my sugar level starts to slowly drop your body gives you signs and I can take a chocolate bar or sugary drink without it Affecting any task I'm undertaking. Diabetics do not suddenly collapse with no warning if they correctly control the condition so it makes us no less safe to have in a cockpit as any other healthy pilot. Every time I visit my gp or nurse they do all the relevant checks and can't believe the control I have over my diabetes and they have even told me it's like I'm not even a diabetic!

I understand the rules have now been relaxed regarding diabetes & class 1 meds but for me it's almost too little too late. Commercial aircraft are always crewed by at least 2 pilots so if in the unlikely event I was rendered unable to continue my duty (which has not & would not ever happen) there is another pilot there to continue to operate the aircraft safely. The condition needs to be understood far more than it is!